Choosing the best Edinburgh date ideas
So, what makes the Edinburgh Trams Date Map so special?
Firstly, each date idea chosen is within a realistic, walkable distance of the corresponding tram stop - the furthest walk on our map is a 15-minute stroll from the station, and most walks are significantly shorter.
Secondly, each pick is a genuinely good Edinburgh date idea. How did we decide? Sheer popularity. We combined the TripAdvisor, Yelp, and Google Maps scores for each idea, and took an average - only those that scored 4/5 or higher made the cut! (OK, there might be a 3.7 out by Gogarburn).
Finally, we wanted a good mix of ideas. We've previously looked at romantic things to do in Edinburgh, and created a list of the city's most romantic restaurants, but this time we were after a more mixed bag. From galleries to cafes, from outdoor activities to buzzing bars, there's something here for all tastes, and we've even colour coded them for your convenience.
Please note, all date ideas and rankings are current as of May 2018
16 of the best Edinburgh date ideas
- York Place: Calton Hill. Good for: checking out romantic Edinburgh views, local history, and monuments, attending yearly festivals.
Average rank: 4.6. Walking time: 12 mins (to top of hill)
- St Andrews Square: Voodoo Rooms. Good for: watching live music, trying delicious cocktails, enjoying fine food and an elegant speakeasy vibe.
Average rank: 4.1. Walking time: 2 mins
- Princes Street: Scottish National Gallery. Good for: seeing paintings by masters like Van Dyck, Titian, and Raphael, and appreciating fine Scottish art.
Average rank: 4.5. Walking time: 1 min
- Shandwick Place: Whigham's Wine Cellars. Good for: romantic candlelit meals, enjoying oysters and tapas, seeing live jazz, trying delicious wine and whisky.
Average rank: 4.1. Walking time: 5 mins
- Haymarket: La Bruschetta. Good for: cosy Italian dining, eating fresh, delicious pasta, enjoying Mediterranean-style fresh fish and seafood.
Average rank: 4.6. Walking time: 1 min
- Murrayfield Stadium: BT Murrayfield Stadium.* Good for: watching live rugby games, seeing big-name bands live in concert.
Average rank: 4.5. Walking time: 2 mins
- Balgreen: Saughton Rose Gardens. Good for: wandering past stunning flower beds, seeing beautiful, scented roses, walking and talking with your date.
Average rank: 4.4. Walking time: 10 mins
- Saughton: The Terrace. Good for: relaxed pub dates, sharing tasty gastro-pub food, bonding over a great wine, gin and beer selection.
Average rank: 4.4. Walking time: 7 mins
- Bankhead: Edinburgh Beer Factory.* Good for: tasting craft lager, going on brewery tours, finding a new favourite beer.
Average rank: 4.7. Walking time: 6 mins
- Edinburgh Park Station: Krispy Kreme. Good for: coffee dates, taking a break from shopping together, spoiling your date with a sweet treat.
Average rank: 4.2. Walking time: 4 mins
- Edinburgh Park Central: The Glass Cube. Good for: lunch dates on workdays, trying fresh baking and coffee, enjoying deli treats.
Average rank: 4.8. Walking time: 9 mins
- Gyle Centre: Westgate Farm, Dining & Carvery. Good for: lingering over a Sunday roast, having an afternoon tea date with homemade cakes.
Average rank: 4. Walking time: 15 mins
- Edinburgh Gateway: Cast Iron Grill (in the Marriott). Good for: elegant date nights, treating yourselves to a steak dinner, pretending you're on holiday.
Average rank: 4.2. Walking time: 15 mins
- Gogarburn: Gogarburn Golf Club. Good for: getting outdoors together, playing a round of golf, showing off your competitive sides
Average rank: 3.7. Walking time: 13 mins
- Ingliston Park & Ride: The Space (in the Doubletree by Hilton). Good for: drinks dates or dinner dates, having a romantic meal after a golf game.
Average rank: 4. Walking time: 12 mins
- Edinburgh Airport: Aspire Lounge.+ Good for: starting your romantic break early, enjoying a cocktail or glass of bubbles before a couple's holiday,
Average rank: 4.1. Walking time: 4 mins plus fast-track security.
16 great Edinburgh date ideas - the street map
Please note, date ideas marked with a * are venues where booking in advance is strongly recommended. A + means that this date is past airport security: you will need an airline ticket to enjoy the date. The numbers refer to the average ranking across Yelp, TripAdvisor and Google Maps for each date.
EliteSingles editorial May 2018.