There are plenty of romantic things to do in London, but sometimes it can be difficult choosing what to do. If you need date ideas, London can be transformed into…
Just in time for Love Your Pet Day on the 20th Feb, our new survey of 1000 UK singles has revealed that over half (57%) think owning a pet can make someone more attractive¹ – and that owning a dog makes you the most attractive of all. Not only that, the way someone treats their pets might just indicate how caring they will be as a partner…
Animal attraction: Britons think having a pet is sexy
Love life a bit lacking? It might be time to get a dog: our latest user survey has revealed that UK singles think that dog owners are extra attractive.
While the survey showed that 57% of Brits think that owning any pet at all makes someone more attractive, dogs were crowned the best of the best. In fact, 63% of those attracted to pet owners admit that they’re most likely to go dotty for someone who has a dog. What’s more, 90% of self-described dog lovers say they’re more attracted to someone who owns a pooch.
But what happens if you don’t have a friendly canine to play Cupid? If you’ve got a cat, you might still be in luck – 18% of singles who like pet owners (and 56% of self-described cat lovers) think that owning a moggy boosts someone’s attraction factor.
- READ MORE: Pets aren’t the only thing that can influence attraction. Discover how reading books can change your love life!
Must love dogs: mention your pets in your dating profile
The survey also found that a great place to make the most of this attraction boost is online: 63% of singles say it’s extra attractive when a person’s dating profile photo includes a pet.
Furthermore, 71% like the idea of writing about one’s pets in a dating profile: nearly a fifth of singles (19%) say that it’s ‘’very important’’ that an online match mention a love for animals in their profile, while 52% describe it as a ‘’nice bonus.’’ Just 12% take a negative view of people that mention their pets online, while 17% think that it doesn’t matter one way or the other.
- READ MORE: want more tips on how to primp your profile? Try our online dating profile how-to guide
Should you let your furry friends play third wheel?
However, although Brits are besotted with pet owners, that doesn’t necessarily mean that they want them to bring their furry friends along to their dates. In fact, 62% think it would be ‘’a distraction’’ if someone was to bring a pet along on a first date. (That said, the other 38% would find it ‘’charming’’ so it does perhaps depend on who you are dating!)
Even if the pet isn’t invited to the first date, those who start a romance with an animal lover should know that that they’ll have to share at least some of their paramour’s affections. This is especially true if a pet is poorly – 60% of British pet owners would cancel a date to spend time with their sick animal.
- READ MORE: bringing along your pet is just one of the first date no-nos. We revealed the top ten here!
What is it, boy? Singles trust their pets’ judgement
What’s more, if you date a British pet owner, you should know that there’s a good chance the pet might just get a say in how the relationship progresses. 72% of singles think that the way a pet responds to a new partner is an indication of how the relationship will go.
It is dog lovers who are the most likely to prioritize their furry pals though: one in three dog lovers (32%) would end a relationship if their dog did not like the new beau – while only 27% of cat people would call time on a romance if their cat wasn’t happy.
- READ MORE: Where do the most monogamous men in the UK live? Our survey results may surprise you
Can the way you treat your pet indicate how caring you’ll be as a partner?
So why are UK singles so attracted to people with pets? It could be because someone’s attitude towards their animals is seen by many as a good indicator of whether or not they are relationship material. In fact, 72% think that the way someone treats their pets can predict how caring they will be in a relationship.
EliteSingles’ psychologist Salama Marine says that singles might think this way because it’s “extremely hard for a selfish person to raise a pet properly.’’ Raising animals – particularly active animals like dogs – requires a lot of commitment and dedication, so singles with pets are often perceived to be kind, friendly… and ready to commit to a long term relationship.”